Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are quite common in India... This is my version! I buy bakery breadcrumbs b/c they just taste better than the "stuff" you buy in cans at the grocery store... and I get 2xs the amount for 99cents. Servings will depend on how large/small you make your cutlets.
- 4 medium onions, chopped fine
- 9 green chilies, chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 lb ground beef (any mince you want to use)
- 6 medium potatoes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 4 eggs, whisked
- oil, for shallow frying
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- Put your onion, chiles, garlic, turmeric and mince in a pan over high heat and cook mixing often for around 15 mins (you dont need to add any oil/fat).
- Poke the potatoes with a fork, wrap in moist papertowels, and microwave according to your microwave settings.
- I have a baked potato setting, and they are done in around 6 minutes on my baked potato setting, but each microwave is different.
- After 15 mins of cooking the mince, turn heat off, add lemon juice, black pepper, garam masala, cilanto and salt.
- Transfer to a bowl lined with paper towels to drain excess oils/fat.
- Remove skins from cooked potatoes and mash thoroughly making sure there are no lumps.
- Mix potatoes into meat mixture.
- Now shape the mixture into cutlets (I usually make them into oval shaped cutlets about 1/2 inch thick).
- dip into egg mixture and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry in a frying pan until golden brown and serve hot!