Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom liked to make this soup on a cold fall or winter day, and serve it with homemade bread. Although it's not a thick chowder, it is filling! Real comfort food. I am pretty sure this came from our local newspaper, and it was such a hit that it became a regular thing on our family's menu. My own kids love it too. I am hoping someday to hear a third generation of kids shouting, "Hurray! Ham and potato chowder!"
- 1. Melt the butter in a large pot.
- 2. Add the onion, celery, garlic, and ham, and cook till the celery is tender.
- 3. Add the potatoes, seasonings, and water.
- 4. Bring mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 - 30 minutes, or until the potato is just cooked.
- 5. Add the milk and the tomatoes.
- 6. Heat through, but do not boil.