1/1 Photo of Mina's Ham and Potato Chowder
Mina's daughter's Note:
My mom liked to make this soup on a cold fall or winter day, and serve it with homemade bread. Although it's not a thick chowder, it is filling! Real comfort food. I am pretty sure this came from our local newspaper, and it was such a hit that it became a regular thing on our family's menu. My own kids love it too. I am hoping someday to hear a third generation of kids shouting, "Hurray! Ham and potato chowder!"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. Melt the butter in a large pot.
- 22. Add the onion, celery, garlic, and ham, and cook till the celery is tender.
- 33. Add the potatoes, seasonings, and water.
- 44. Bring mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 - 30 minutes, or until the potato is just cooked.
- 55. Add the milk and the tomatoes.
- 66. Heat through, but do not boil.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mina's Ham and Potato Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.7
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 1097.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 15.2 g