Recipe by JPsBarbie
This is one of the easiest soups to make. It is great for a first course for a special occasion as it can be made ahead and just finished in the oven before serving.
Top Review by ersmedstad
This has all the right steps and works great with Gruyere, however I'd recommend skipping the sugar or using 1/4 the amount listed. It was a bit rude taking a sip of the broth and finding it like saturated sweet tea. Perhaps they meant 2 teaspoons of sugar..
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 3 large vidalia onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- French bread, sliced (about 1 inch thick)
- provolone cheese, sliced (can also use Gruyere or Mozzarella)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saute' pan melt butter with olive oil and saute' onions until golden brown.
- Combine both broths and sherry in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Combine sugar and flour and sprinkle over onions stirring to combine. (To help prevent clumping place flour mixture in a mesh strainer and use to shake over onions.).
- Add onions to broth and simmer covered for 1 hour stirring occasionally salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into crocks and place a slice of bread and cheese on top. (To make it easier to eat the bread can be cut into bite size pieces before putting on soup.).
- Bake in 350 oven for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.