Recipe by Mimi in Maine
A very moist nut bread with an orange glaze on top. Delicious! They make nice gifts if you tuck one in a basket with a pretty napkin and bow. This is one of the recipes that I did in "Christmas Goodie Class" a couple of years ago. Everyone got to taste it and loved it. Enjoy!
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl beat eggs until thick and lemon-colored.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Stir in oil, 2/3 cup orange juice, and zucchini until well blended.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt,.
- cinnamon, cloves, orange peel; mix well.
- Add nuts and mix well.
- Grease two bread pans and divide batter between them.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans; then cool another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a glaze in a small bowl with the 1 cup powdered sugar and the 2-3 teaspoons orange juice, adding enough orange juice to desired spreading consistency.
- Spread over warm loaves.
- Cool 45 minutes until completely cooled.
- Wrap tightly and store in a cool place unless they get eaten right away. Yum!