Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is one of my all time favorites - my mom's (Mimi's) recipe for vegetable soup. What I like about this recipe is you can add a variety of fresh seasonal vegetables in addition to the "standards". And you can use canned or frozen vegetables as well. Personnally, I like fresh organic vegetables in this soup, but I've also used the canned for convenience, and the added liquid from the canned veggies adds some more flavor. I've tried this in my crock pot, but I like cooking it better on the stove - no sticking to the bottom that way. This recipe makes a pretty big pot of soup, so eat some now and freeze some for later. Add additional liquid as necessary to get the consistency you like for your soup. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 2 cups water or 2 cups prepared broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried parsley or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (26 ounce) can campbell's tomato soup
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) packagebaby peeled carrots, chopped
- 6 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) can corn, with liqid
- 1 (8 ounce) can peas, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can green beans, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can wax beans, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can baby lima beans, with liquid
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄3 head cabbage, sliced
- 1 cup washed baby spinach leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
- 1 cup okra, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, cubed
- In a large stock pot, add 2 cups liquid (water or broth) and stew beef. Bring to a boil and remove any foam from the water. Cook 5-10 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Add tomato soup. Fill soup can with water and add to pot.
- Cook on medium heat for approximately 30 minutes.
- Add the raw vegetables next - turnips, potatoes, carrots, etc., and bring pot to boil.
- Cook over medium low heat until raw vegetables are tender, about 45 - 60 minutes. Stir occasionally and test doneness of vegetables with fork.
- Add other canned or frozen vegetables last; cook until thoroughly heated.
- Serve with grilled cheese or a green salad.
I made this today for lunch tomorrow. Of course I had to taste it and it was really good. Not like any vegetable soup I have ever made before. Thanks so much for the great recipe and I will be making this again.