Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious treat on Valentine's Day or for a tea party. Each scone is two layers with a raspberry jam filling and sprinkled lightly with white sugar and then with red sugar crystals. Any other red jam would be fine--strawberry or cherry. They are beautiful on a tray or serve in a pretty basket lined with a napkin. If you are doing these for a tea party just use a smaller heart cookie cutter but it will make many more, or you could make a few small ones for the party and the rest larger ones for yourselves.
- In a large bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- With a pastry blender cut in butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl combine the cream, beaten egg, and vanilla; mix well.
- Add this to the flour mixture and stir till just combined; do not overmix.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead about 5-6 times.
- Roll out to about 1/2" thickness and cut with a 4" heart-sharped cookie cutter; lightly press trimmings together and reroll to cut more scones--you should have 12.
- Place 6 hearts on a greased baking sheet (the rerolled ones are best for the bottom).
- Top each one with 1 tablespoon of jam; moisten edge of dough with water from your finger and place a second heart on top.
- Press along edges to seal.
- Sprinkle tops lightly with granulated sugar and then with the red sugar crystals.
- Bake 400 degree oven for 15-18 minutes; don't let them get too brown.
- Serve in a basket with a pretty napkin.
These look delicious! Can these be made a day ahead? My daughters leave for school so early ;)