Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my mother's famous corn recipe. I'm not sure where she got it but everyone loves it. I get requests each holiday season to make it. You can use canned corn or fresh, but Mom says you have to use Green Giant Shoepeg if using canned. No other corn matches that one. NOTE: Cook no higher than medium heat as this has a tendency to stick and burn. Stir often to reduce sticking.
- 2 (8 ounce) cansgreen giant white shoepeg corn
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup cream, instead of milk in the last cooking step
- At medium heat, add corn to butter in a large skillet.
- Stir in flour, sugar, salt and 1/2 cup of milk.
- Cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk before serving and stir well.
- VARIATION: Use 8 ears of fresh white corn with large kernels. Cut corn from cobs by first cutting down through the kernels, then scraping the pulp from the cob with the back of the knife. This frees the pulp from the shells.
I cut the recipe in half but followed the recipe as written other then I used Splenda instead of sugar as that is all I buy. This was easy and quick to make. Different way to enjoy corn.
Yum! Made as directed except that I halved it for 2 of us. I did use the canned white shoepeg corn and it was simple and tasty. Thanks FloridaNative for sharing. Congrats on your football win this week!!
Made this corn to go along with our fried chicken and mashed potatoes and it was wonderful!!! I made the recipe as written, including using the green giant white corn, except cut the recipe in half, as only 3 of us. My 20 DD wasn't too sure about trying the corn this way, but after one bite she then dug right in and loved the corn. Congrats on your win in the football pool this week!!!!