Recipe by Manami
Found on Allrecipes and can't wait to try it! All it needs is a loaf of hot bread and a nice green salad. Yum! Update: 06/10/2008 when posting the recipe I did it the way i found it but after making it, I chose not to include the tarragon (personal preference) dislike anise! Also used a little less butter and increased the broth by 1/4-1/2 cup.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (not the bottled kind)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, combine the butter, olive oil, onion, garlic, and celery.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until the onions are transparent.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture and stir well to make a dry roux.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and stir until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the potatoes, dill, tarragon, thyme, and paprika.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the salmon, wine, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer over low heat, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the half-and-half and continue to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Do not let the chowder boil after adding the half-and-half.
- Serve immediately and nice and hot!