Top Review by Olive*
This is the same recipe I use, except I use 2 teaspoons of cocoa instead of 2 Tablespoons and 1teaspoon of vinegar instead of 1 Tablespoon. So far, this cake recipe has been made for over 60 years in our family that I know of. It is the most requested cake that I am asked to make. The icing that I use is a cooked icing as well, and it has been the traditional icing to use on a red cake in our family over the years. No other icing will do! Cooked icing can be a little tricky if you haven't ever made it before.
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 591.47 ml flour
- 29.58 ml cocoa
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 56.69 g red food coloring
- 14.79 ml vinegar
- 4.92 ml baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the shortening and sugar.
- Add the eggs and beat till smooth and well blended.
- Add the flour, cocoa, and salt to the above, alternately with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and food coloring.
- Mix the baking soda and vinegar together and fold into the batter by hand; stir just enough to get it inches.
- Pour into a greased and floured angel pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes; can be baked in two layers also.