This is so pretty and good. I have served it with whipped cream on top of the slice and have not frosted the cake, although most people do. If you want to frost it please see Nana's Red Velvet Cake Icing. This is pretty at Christmas time.
- Cream the shortening and sugar.
- Add the eggs and beat till smooth and well blended.
- Add the flour, cocoa, and salt to the above, alternately with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and food coloring.
- Mix the baking soda and vinegar together and fold into the batter by hand; stir just enough to get it inches.
- Pour into a greased and floured angel pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes; can be baked in two layers also.