These are extra lemony because of the lemon glaze that is added after they come out of the oven. If you like lemon, you'll like these.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond flavoring
- In a bowl combine the flour, powder, and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer combine the butter, lemon rind, sugar, and lemon juice; cream till light and fluffy--about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- Fold in the flour mixture alternately with the milk.
- Do not overmix the batter.
- Put in paper-lined tins.
- Bake at 375 dgrees for about 25 minutes.
- GLAZE: While baking, mix the confectioners sugar with the lemon juice, vanilla, and almond.
- When the muffins come out of the oven generously brush each one with the lemon glaze; remove from pan and put on rack to cool for 10 minutes before serving.