Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are extra lemony because of the lemon glaze that is added after they come out of the oven. If you like lemon, you'll like these.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond flavoring
- In a bowl combine the flour, powder, and salt; set aside.
- With an electric mixer combine the butter, lemon rind, sugar, and lemon juice; cream till light and fluffy--about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- Fold in the flour mixture alternately with the milk.
- Do not overmix the batter.
- Put in paper-lined tins.
- Bake at 375 dgrees for about 25 minutes.
- GLAZE: While baking, mix the confectioners sugar with the lemon juice, vanilla, and almond.
- When the muffins come out of the oven generously brush each one with the lemon glaze; remove from pan and put on rack to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Very good muffins! I had wanted to make lemon poppy seed muffins for a while, but it took me some time to find a recipe that used actual lemon juice (instead of just extract or lemon pudding). When I found this one, I jumped on it. The muffins came out nice, and the glaze was delicious! However, I only gave them 4 stars because I feel that although the muffins were tasty, they could use a bit more lemon. I was a little disappointed when I bit into a muffin to find a deliciously lemony glaze paired with a rather lemon-flavorless muffin. So if you're considering skipping the glaze, please don't- it's what really "makes the muffin."
These are fantastic. I added a little extra lemon juice and made them another time with lime juice because I was out of lemons. Both times they were fabulous. The glaze adds that extra zing that makes them so wonderful.
I made these to take on our vacation with us and we loved them. They had a nice lemony flavor, they just can't be beat. Thank you for sharing with us.