Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this in a magazine years ago and loving gingerbread flavor as I do, I had to try these. They are yummy! These are wonderful with a cup of tea.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄3 cup molasses (half blackstrap if you have it)
- 1⁄4 cup milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 egg white (beaten and save)
- sugar, for sprinkling
- Combine the first eight ingredients.
- With a pastry blender, cut in the butter till there are coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center.
- In small bowl mix the next five ingredients--the egg, egg white, molasses, milk, and vinegar.
- Mix this well; it may be a little dry.
- Put on floured board and knead a few times till smooth.
- Pat into a 7" circle and cut into 8 wedges.
- Arrange on an ungreased baking sheet having the wedges 1" apart.
- Brush with the extra beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.