1/4 Photos of Mimi's Gingerbread Men
3 hrs 20 mins
Mimi in Maine's Note:
I have made these since I was in high school (a long time ago). I found the recipe in a magazine, maybe Better Homes and Gardens, and tried them. They were so good. They still are. My family loves Gingerbread Men. If you don't roll these too thin and if you don't overbake them, they will be soft and wonderful. They have good flavor. One hint on the cutter--choose one that has sort of fat arms and legs and not one with spindly extremities because they will get crispy before the body is done. I like soft "gingies". Another cutter that I use is a teddy bear. Then I call them "Ginger Bears".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream shortening and sugar till light and fluffy.
- 2Stir in egg, molasses and vinegar; beat well.
- 3Add dry ingredients.
- 4Chill thoroughly; about 3 hours.
- 5On lightly floured surface, roll to 1/4" thick (no thinner) and cut with cutter.
- 6Place on lightly greased sheet.
- 7Add raisins or currants for eyes,nose, and buttons.
- 8Bake 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes, depending on size of the men.
- 9Cool and remove.
- 10NOTE: If you use a small to medium cutter, you will get a lot of little guys; but if the cutter is large it will be about 1 1/2 dozen (approximately)--I like to use the small to medium because you get more to give away at Christmas.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mimi's Gingerbread Men
Serving Size: 1 (1467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.7
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 136.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 16.2 g
- Protein 2.9 g