Cook1 hr 5 mins
This is my mom's recipe for Key Lime Pie - she hand wrote "excellent" on it. Mimi used to make this for my DH, as it is his favorite pie. Originally from the Citrus Club, this recipe calls for fresh key limes.
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
- 2 (14 ounce) cans condensed milk (not evaporated or canned milk)
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup fresh key lime juice (about 10-20 key limes)
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest (key-lime zest, from about 5 key limes)
- 1 pint whipping cream, whipped
- mint leaf
- 8 slices key limes, thin
- Mix condensed milk with egg yolks, key lime juice and key lime zest.
- Pour into graham cracker pie crust.
- Bake for 5 minutes in a 300 degree (F) oven.
- Remove pie from oven, cool about 5 minutes. Then refrigerate pie for 1 hour.
- Cover pie filling with whipped cream.
- To serve, slice pie and garnish each pie slice with 1 key lime slice and a fresh mint leaf.