1/1 Photo of Mimi's Fantastic Thick Spaghetti Sauce
2 hrs 20 mins
Mimi in Maine's Note:
A few years ago I came upon a sauce that was so good but........... I altered it quite a bit to fit our family. This is now the best sauce I have ever had and if you follow the measurements, it will come out the same every single time. I use Tuttoroso brand in the puree, paste, and sauce because that is the one my friend's mother always used. She was from Italy and made the best sauce in the world. Hubby loves it and comments on it whenever we have it which is once a week. It freezes well and is great with meatballs even thought there is a lot of meat in the sauce. Serve it with garlic bread and you will be sooooo happy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g italian sweet sausage
- 453.59 g hamburger (I use chuck (80% I think it is)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 (1587.57 g) can tomato puree (see note above on the brand I use)
- 2 (340.19 g) can tomato paste
- 2 (453.59 g) can tomato sauce
- 591.47 ml water
- 17.25 ml basil
- 12.32 ml parsley
- 9.85 ml brown sugar (could use white if you want to)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese
- 1In a heavy pot, brown sausage and hamburg, breaking it up into smaller pieces.
- 2Add chopped onions and minced garlic and cook till meat is done; add tomato paste and stir until it is mixed in well.
- 3Add tomato puree, sauce, and water (when measuring the water, put it into the puree can to rinse it all out and then add to meat mixture).
- 4Add basil, brown sugar, salt, parsley, and black pepper and mix well.
- 5Add the Parmesan cheese (yes, to the the sauce) and mix it in well.
- 6Simmer on low for 2-4 hours stirring occasionally so it won't burn; if you think it needs some thinning down, add about 1/8 cup water at a time; don't add too much because you want it thick so it will stick to your pasta.
- 7Cook your spaghetti and enjoy! Eat what you want and freeze the rest in containers that will hold the amount you will eat at a sitting.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mimi's Fantastic Thick Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.6
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 76.8 mg
- Sodium 1856.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 24.9 g
- Protein 37.3 g