Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This dirty rice recipe came from my mom in 1996, and I don't have any idea where she got it. It can be adjusted for your tastes -- more or less of the "7 seasonings" to make it hotter. I usually make it and put it in stuffed peppers, but it could be a stand alone dish or side. We love it!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 7 dashes ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red peppers or 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked Minute Rice
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb hot smoked sausage, removed from casing
- Combine first 7 seasonings and set aside.
- Over medium heat, place ground meat and bay leaves in skillet with oil. Brown meat thoroughly. Drain excess grease.
- Stir 7 seasonings into meat. Add onions, celery, peppers, and garlic, stirring well.
- Add butter and reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken or beef broth; cook 8 minutes over high heat, stirring once.
- Add minute rice and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Not a bad quick meal that's super cheap too. I always had just bought the box of dirty rice in the store, but this was better, and I always have everything on hand to make it.
Yum. We used regular rice, so it took a bit longer to cook, but the extra time was well worth it. Made for Football Pool 2009.
This was very good. The spice mixture was nice and subtle on the tongue. I have had dirty rice before and didn't care for it, so I am very glad to find this recipe. Made for ZWT5.