Recipe by FloridaNative
This dirty rice recipe came from my mom in 1996, and I don't have any idea where she got it. It can be adjusted for your tastes -- more or less of the "7 seasonings" to make it hotter. I usually make it and put it in stuffed peppers, but it could be a stand alone dish or side. We love it!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 7 dashes ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red peppers or 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked Minute Rice
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb hot smoked sausage, removed from casing
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 seasonings and set aside.
- Over medium heat, place ground meat and bay leaves in skillet with oil. Brown meat thoroughly. Drain excess grease.
- Stir 7 seasonings into meat. Add onions, celery, peppers, and garlic, stirring well.
- Add butter and reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken or beef broth; cook 8 minutes over high heat, stirring once.
- Add minute rice and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.