Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a variation of my "Mimi's Dirty Rice" recipe, using healthier brown or basmati long cooking rice. Takes a little longer, but still very delicious. Use as a stuffing in stuffed peppers, or serve with a green salad. We like this in stuffed peppers, with some jack cheese melted on top.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 7 dashes ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red peppers or 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup brown rice or 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth or 2 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Combine first 7 seasonings and set aside.
- Over medium heat, place ground meat and bay leaves in skilled with oil. Brown meat thoroughly. Drain excess grease.
- Stir in 7 seasonings. Add onion, celery, peppers, and garlic, stirring well.
- Add butter and reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes, stirring very often (every minute or so).
- Add chicken or beef broth; add basmati rice and stir well.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook rice mixture approximately 45 minutes (or as directed for rice).
- Remove from heat and let stand 5-10 miutes before serving.
- NOTE: You may have to adjust the amount of broth used based on absorption. 2 1/4 cups usually works well, add a little more for a "wetter" rice.
I've served this a half-dozen time and am a believer. I agree with JD; thyme has little or no place in this dish. My family loved it immediately. Albeit, a couple days after my first preparation effort, I rolled the leftovers into burritos for a quick weeknight meal. Perfect! We now make it only as a burrito filling--often. My entire family thanks you FloridaNative for posting.
A very outstanding recipe that will become the staple when looking for a earthy rice. For my taste I would cut the thyme back a little or omit all together. Wonderful recipe... thanks for sharing
Tasted amazing and smelled great as it was cooking. Made exactly as written with the exception of using long grain white rice, which turned out fine.