1/1 Photo of Mimi's Dirty Brown Rice
1 hr 20 mins
This is a variation of my "Mimi's Dirty Rice" recipe, using healthier brown or basmati long cooking rice. Takes a little longer, but still very delicious. Use as a stuffing in stuffed peppers, or serve with a green salad. We like this in stuffed peppers, with some jack cheese melted on top.
My Private Note
1 Cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 7 dashes ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red peppers or 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup brown rice or 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth or 2 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1Combine first 7 seasonings and set aside.
- 2Over medium heat, place ground meat and bay leaves in skilled with oil. Brown meat thoroughly. Drain excess grease.
- 3Stir in 7 seasonings. Add onion, celery, peppers, and garlic, stirring well.
- 4Add butter and reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes, stirring very often (every minute or so).
- 5Add chicken or beef broth; add basmati rice and stir well.
- 6Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook rice mixture approximately 45 minutes (or as directed for rice).
- 7Remove from heat and let stand 5-10 miutes before serving.
- 8NOTE: You may have to adjust the amount of broth used based on absorption. 2 1/4 cups usually works well, add a little more for a "wetter" rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mimi's Dirty Brown Rice
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.2
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 81.3 mg
- Sodium 532.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 30.1 g