This is a variation of my "Mimi's Dirty Rice" recipe, using healthier brown or basmati long cooking rice. Takes a little longer, but still very delicious. Use as a stuffing in stuffed peppers, or serve with a green salad. We like this in stuffed peppers, with some jack cheese melted on top.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 7 dashes ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red peppers or 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup brown rice or 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth or 2 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Combine first 7 seasonings and set aside.
- Over medium heat, place ground meat and bay leaves in skilled with oil. Brown meat thoroughly. Drain excess grease.
- Stir in 7 seasonings. Add onion, celery, peppers, and garlic, stirring well.
- Add butter and reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes, stirring very often (every minute or so).
- Add chicken or beef broth; add basmati rice and stir well.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook rice mixture approximately 45 minutes (or as directed for rice).
- Remove from heat and let stand 5-10 miutes before serving.
- NOTE: You may have to adjust the amount of broth used based on absorption. 2 1/4 cups usually works well, add a little more for a "wetter" rice.