Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a savory scone. Serve them warm with butter and Hot Pepper Jelly or honey. They are good with chili, or any bean dish, or just by themselves with the jelly.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup firm butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (see note below)
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the butter using pastry blended till it looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk so dough leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead lightly about 10 times.
- Pat or roll into a 7-inch circle on ungreased cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Score into 8 wedges, cutting down halfway to the bottom.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or till light brown.
- Immediately remove from sheet and carefully separate wedges.
- Serve warm.
- NOTE: If the dough is too dry, stir in an additional 1-2 tablespoons of buttermilk; sometimes I will add an extra tablespoon while mixing, but you try it for the first time.
I was looking through your recipes and saw this one and knew I had to make them. They went so good with some Chili I had simmering in the crock pot. They were tender and moist with a hint of corn flavor that DH and I loved! I love scones and this one is my new favorite!