I've been making this for years. Everyone who has had it says that it is so good. Hope you like it.
- 2 quarts finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups of a good mayonnaise (I use Hellmans)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated onion (I sometimes use 1/2 tablespoon of dry onion)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon prepared horseradish (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing together and set aside.
- Shred the cabbage and carrot; I then sometimes take a hand chopper and chop it up a little more as I like it a little finer.
- Add the dressing to the cabbage and carrots till you have the moisture that you like--it tightens up a little as it sits.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours to blend the flavors.
Mimi, This dressing is outstanding. Love the horseradish kick! Made with some pre-packed coleslaw mix. Delish! Thanks for posting this keeper!
I cut this down to four servings and left out the optional horseradish, but otherwise made the recipe as directed. I found that all of the dressing was needed for the consistency of cole slaw I wanted. It was good enough, just nothing that made me sit up and go "wow!"