Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This has a wonderful cheese filling. When you buy the cottage cheese, don't get a low-fat, get the good stuff. I get Hood's Country Style. It is good with just the cheese or you could add a can of cherry pie filling on top and WOW! what a treat. It is even better after you refrigerate it.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour (about)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 ounce) container cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg yolk (save the white to put on braid before baking)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, salt, yeast, and 1 cup flour in a bowl.
- In a saucepan heat the butter and water until very warm (but not too hot as that will kill the yeast--about 115 degrees).
- With mixer on low speed, beat the liquid into the dry ingredients and then at medium speed, beat for 2 minutes.
- Beat in the egg and 3/4 cup flour and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in 1 1/4 cups flour and then turn out on a floured board and knead adding flour if you need it.
- Put into a greased bowl and rise for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling.
- Press the cottage cheese through a fine sieve into a bowl. Beat on low speed with cream cheese, confectioners sugar, lemon peel, and egg yolk till well blended.
- BACK TO THE DOUGH:.
- Punch down the dough and cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Grease a large cookie sheet.
- Roll dough out to a to 12x15 rectangle.
- Spread the filling in a 4" strip lengthwise down the center.
- IT IS AT THIS POINT YOU WOULD PUT THE CHERRY PIE FILLING--AS MUCH AS YOU WANT--ON TOP OF THE CHEESE.
- Cut dough on both sides of filling crosswise into 1" strips.
- Place strips at an angle across filling, alternating sides for braided effect.
- Place braid on cookie sheet; cover and let rise till double.
- Beat an egg white and brush on braid.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 20 minutes or till browned.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- If you want to drizzle some thin icing on top, that is also good.