This comes from a restaurant that is here in Utah, at least that is where I think it is from. I made it the other night, and it was slightly different from most corn chowders because it didn't use bacon. This is a very mild tasting chowder.
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Once melted add celery and onion and saute for 5 minutes (not til brown, just til soft).
- Add water, potatoes, corn, sugar, salt and pepper, making sure water covers everything, adding more if not covered completely. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, usually about 30 minutes.
- Whisk flour into 1 cup of the half and half and then stir into soup.
- Add remaining half and half and simmer until soup is thickened to a creamy consistency (usually about 15 minutes).
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if wanted. If the chowder is too thick, add some milk, if it is too thin, simmer for 5-10 minutes more.