Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my mom - Mimi's - recipe for baked beans. Always a compliment to any occasion. This makes a good size dish for serving at a picnic or barbeque. I sometimes add cooked smoked sausage or ground beef and make it into a "casserole" for dinner, served with a salad and bread & butter slices. YUM...(:-)
- 2 slices thick bacon, cubed
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans baked beans, any brand, though I am partial to Campbell's
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or 3 tablespoons pancake syrup
- 5 dashes ground red pepper
- 3 tablespoons raw honey, for the maple syrup
- In a small frying pan, saute bacon cubes and onion until lightly browned.
- In a large casserole dish, add the canned beans, onion, bacon and remaining ingredients. Stir together, mixing well.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Great beans!!! Very similar to the way I make my baked beans, but different ingredients. I used prepared mustard and so alot more of it and then brown sugar instead of the syrup. I was like weekend cooker and went very lightly with the red pepper, used regular bacon and ended up cooking it longer than stated, but it still worked out great. Congrats on another football pool win!!!
Very good beans, my DH thought they were great. I thought they were a little too sweet for my taste. But easy to make and would be great for a potluck.
Excellent lunch we had this week . The only adjustment I made was that I cut down the red pepper to about 2 or 3 dashes. Made for Football Pool tag.