Recipe by kelly jean
my grandma used to make this all the time. one of our family favorites... there are 2 other similar recipes on recipezaar, but they aren't quite the way i've grown up making it. be sure you are using Milnot Evaporated Filled Milk or something similar. I've tried many times to change the ingredient list on this recipe to reflect that it is an evaporated milk, *not* sweetened condensed milk, but food.com seems intent on making Milnot "sweetened condensed milk". There is no such thing. Use evaporated milk if you must substitute for the Milnot brand. (it seems this edit may possibly stick, but I wanted this note in here to lessen further confusion.) edited october 20th to emphasize cold beaters and milnot: as reviewer cinda lou pointed out, the cold beaters and milnot are very crucial to the recipe. don't skimp on that step! i put the beaters in the freezer for a few minutes and the milnot in the fridge for a couple hours before making the cheesecake.
- 3 ounces lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 13 ounces milnot evaporated filled milk, chilled
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- dissolve jello in water; cool.
- cream sugar, vanilla, and cream cheese.
- add jello; mix well.
- whip milnot with cold beaters until fluffy.
- fold milnot into jello mixture.
- add butter to graham cracker crumbs and pack into a 9x13 pan.
- add filling to crust.
- sprinkle with more graham cracker crumbs.
- keep refrigerated.