Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Also known as Cambridge Squares, we found this delicious recipe whilst visiting Cambridge in 2012. It is superb.
For the base
- 354.88 ml plain flour
- 118.29 ml white sugar
- 354.88 ml butter
- 118.29 ml semolina
For the topping
- 177.44 ml butter
- 177.44 ml white sugar
- 396 g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 59.14 ml lyle's golden syrup
- 29.58 ml lyle's golden syrup
- 236.59 ml quality dark chocolate
- 44.37 ml quality dark chocolate
- Set the oven to 320°F Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Place all the ingredients for the base in a food processor and whizz together until they form a smooth dough.
- Press the dough into the greased pan and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and firm. When done, leave to cool.
- To make the topping, put the butter, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and the Lyle’s Golden Syrup in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until the butter is well melted.
- Let the mixture bubble gently for 5 minutes until it reaches a light golden color, stirring the entire time.
- Pour over the toffee all over the cold shortbread in an even layer. Put in the freezer.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Take the shortbread out of the freezer. Pour the melted chocolate over the shortbread.
- Put the Cambridge Squares back in the freezer and take out when the chocolate has been fully hardened.
- Take out the squares and cut. Enjoy eating a little taste of Cambridge!