2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Horrible Histories's Note:
Also known as Cambridge Squares, we found this delicious recipe whilst visiting Cambridge in 2012. It is superb.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the base
For the topping
- 1Set the oven to 320°F Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- 2Place all the ingredients for the base in a food processor and whizz together until they form a smooth dough.
- 3Press the dough into the greased pan and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and firm. When done, leave to cool.
- 4To make the topping, put the butter, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and the Lyle’s Golden Syrup in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until the butter is well melted.
- 5Let the mixture bubble gently for 5 minutes until it reaches a light golden color, stirring the entire time.
- 6Pour over the toffee all over the cold shortbread in an even layer. Put in the freezer.
- 7Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- 8Take the shortbread out of the freezer. Pour the melted chocolate over the shortbread.
- 9Put the Cambridge Squares back in the freezer and take out when the chocolate has been fully hardened.
- 10Take out the squares and cut. Enjoy eating a little taste of Cambridge!
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Millionaire's Shortbread
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.7
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 51.3 mg
- Sodium 178.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 3.5 g