Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Also known as Cambridge Squares, we found this delicious recipe whilst visiting Cambridge in 2012. It is superb.
For the base
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1⁄2 cup semolina
For the topping
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 (396 g) tin sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 cup lyle's golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons lyle's golden syrup
- 1 cup quality dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons quality dark chocolate
- Set the oven to 320°F Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Place all the ingredients for the base in a food processor and whizz together until they form a smooth dough.
- Press the dough into the greased pan and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and firm. When done, leave to cool.
- To make the topping, put the butter, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and the Lyle’s Golden Syrup in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until the butter is well melted.
- Let the mixture bubble gently for 5 minutes until it reaches a light golden color, stirring the entire time.
- Pour over the toffee all over the cold shortbread in an even layer. Put in the freezer.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Take the shortbread out of the freezer. Pour the melted chocolate over the shortbread.
- Put the Cambridge Squares back in the freezer and take out when the chocolate has been fully hardened.
- Take out the squares and cut. Enjoy eating a little taste of Cambridge!