Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I saw this today on 5 Ingredient Fix and want to make sure I know to find the recipe when I'm ready to make this -- DH requests!
- 1 cup butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for preparing pans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for preparing pans
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 lb good-quality milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare 2 (8-inch) square non-stick pans with butter and coat with flour, tapping off excess. Place the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse once. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles peas. Press the shortbread mixture into prepared pans and bake until golden brown around the edges, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven to cool completely.
- Caramel Layer:.
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium-low heat, combine the condensed milk and 2 tablespoons of butter. Slowly bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously. Continue stirring over the heat until mixture becomes thick and amber in color, about 15 minutes. Pour the caramel over the cooked shortbread and spread evenly using an offset spatula. Cool to room temperature.
- Chocolate Topping:.
- In a glass bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate. Once chocolate has melted, pour it over the cooled caramel layer. Cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes, and then place in the refrigerator to cool completely allowing chocolate to slightly harden but not set hard.
- Cut into 2 inch squares and enjoy, or store in an airtight container at room temperature or keep in the fridge for a yummy sweet and cool treat!
I make this recipe for my family and friends all the time. They love it. As I mentioned in the previous review I tried covering it with white chocolate and drizzling dark on top of it. It was a great success. I also did the base using my gluten free flour mix and the shortbread was the best ever. Thank you to Kittycatmon for the orgininal recipe.
Very bad experience. Cooked caramel per directions. Should have asked for a temp reading-not a color. It is as hard as a rock. Am disappointed.
5++++ Ohhhh my goodness, these are easy, rich, and delicious. Saving these to my Bake Sale Cookbook so we can sell these at our Holiday Faire this year, I know we will make be able to sell a bunch of these. Everyone has just gotta try these, if you make the caramel exactly as in the recipe you will have no problems at all, and I live at 3200 plus feet above sea level and it came out perfect! Thank you for a great recipe!!!!