1/2 Photos of Millionaire's Shortbread
Alison J.'s Note:
This is my grandmother's shortbread recipe straight from Scotland. It is melt-in-your-mouth delicious on its own - but I sometimes like to add a caramel and chocolate topping for something extra-special. It's really quite easy to make and is widely requested at holidays and gatherings!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Combine corn starch, icing sugar, salt, and flour.
- 3Add softened butter in chunks, working through with fingers until well combined.
- 4Spread in a shallow 8"x8" pan.
- 5Prick with a fork all over and bake for 20 - 30 minutes, until golden brown. Watch carefully to make sure the shortbread doesn't burn!
- 6If you are NOT making the millionaire's version, sprinkle the baked shortbread with caster sugar and cut up to cool on a rack. You are now finished - enjoy! If you ARE making the millionaire's version, skip this step and continue below.
- 7On low heat, combine butter, caster sugar, golden syrup and condensed milk. Stir until dissolved.
- 8Boil mixture 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. The caramel mixture is ready when a small amount dropped into cold water forms a ball.
- 9Spread caramel over shortbread and allow to set.
- 10Melt semi sweet chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler and spread over caramel. Allow to set (in the refrigerator, if you like).
- 11To help stop the chocolate from cracking when you cut the shortbread, heat the blade of your knife in hot water, then dry off and cut slowly and carefully. Repeat this process before each cut you make.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Millionaire's Shortbread
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.3
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 27.5 mg
- Sodium 85.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 1.9 g