Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This meatloaf is formed on a bed of croutons then served with a jumbo chili seasoned shrimp on top, with mashed potatoes, if desired. Adapted from David Burke, culinary director of the Stadium Grill, a 250-seat restaurant in Bowlmor Lanes, Manhattan.
FOR THE MEATLOAF
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon horseradish, well-drained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 -3 cups croutons, bought (see note for instructions) or 2 -3 cups homemade croutons (see note for instructions)
FOR THE CHILI SHRIMP
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Wondra Flour
- 4 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon chili oil
- mashed potatoes, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet, over medium high, add oil, onions, and garlic; saute until onions are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes, then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground beef, eggs and milk; add bread crumbs, mustard, barbecue sauce, horseradish, and cooked onion mixture and mix again.
- Season with salt, a little heavy on the pepper, parsley, and thyme; combine thoroughly.
- Spread the croutons on the bottom of an 8 inch square baking dish; top with meatloaf mixture (patting it down so that it is level).
- Bake to an internal temperature 165 degrees F and the top browned, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chili shrimp by combining the chili powder, cayenne, paprika and flour in a small bowl; dredge the shrimp in the
- Heat a small skillet, over medium high heat, and add the chili oil; once hot, cook the shrimp, about 2 minutes per side.
- To serve, cut the meatloaf into 4 slices and place each slice on a serving dish; top with a chili shrimp.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, if desired.
- NOTE: to make croutons, cube white bread and toss with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper; place in a 4oo degree F oven, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.