1 hr 5 mins
JeanineD 2's Note:
This recipe I found in a trunk that was passed on from my grandmother to me. Chocolate cake can by dry, however this recipe is scrumptious, I have used this recipe for the last 15 years and have never had a flop. When entertaining my friends always ask me to bake this cake. I have passed this recipe on to a very dear friend who always says everything she bakes comes out a flop but this recipe is one that she can bake and never flops she says Once the flour and baking powder have been added beat only until blended DO NOT OVER BEAT. You will never eat another chocolate cake once you have eaten this one!
My Private Note
large s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 450 ml cake flour
frosting ingredients (In Africa we call frosting Icing)
- 280 g of brown milk chocolate
- 1.5 (375 ml) double fresh cream
- 60 ml brandy
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- 2Dissolve cocoa powder in boiling water, set aside to cool.
- 3Grease & flour a 11inch (28cm) long & 8inch (20cm) wide oven proof container.
- 4Separate the eggs ( beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside).
- 5Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 6Add the cooled cocoa mixture and beat well.
- 7Add the oil and vanilla essence beat well.
- 8Sift in the flour and baking powder and beat only until blended.
- 9Fold in the stiffly beaten egg white with a metal spoon.
- 10Pour mixture into oven proof container and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 11While the cake is baking make the syrup.
- 12Put the evaporated milk, sugar, brandy, vanilla essence into a pot on the stove bring to the boil, boil together until sugar has dissolved.
- 13When the cake is baked removed from oven prick the top of the cake all over with a fork and pour the syrup over the cake.
- 14Leave the cake to get completely cold.
- 15While the cake is getting cold make the frosting.
- 16Break up the chocolate squares place in a basi over a 1/2 pot of water and simmer until the chocolate has melted ( do not put any liquid near this while the chocolate is melting otherwise the chocolate will split and go dry).
- 17Let the chocolate cool slightly.
- 18Whisk the cream until soft peaks are formed, add the brandy beat well then gradually fold in the cooled chocolate.
- 19Frost the top and sides of the cake with this mixture.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Millionaires Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1693.2
- Calories from Fat 1074
- Total Fat 119.4 g
- Saturated Fat 66.7 g
- Cholesterol 442.2 mg
- Sodium 389.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 81.1 g
- Protein 17.6 g