Prep 40 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A quick and easy way to make the gooey sticky treat! Since I'm aware that shortbread is a typically Scottish biscuit, and may not translate across the pond, I've included how to make it from scratch. However, this works just as well with the shop bought kind.
To make 400g shortbread
- 200 g plain flour
- 130 g salted butter
- 65 g golden caster sugar
If using shop bought shortbread
- 50 g butter
For the caramel filling
- 200 g dark brown sugar
- 200 g salted butter
- 397 g sweetened condensed milk
- 400 g milk chocolate
- If you're making the shortbread from scratch then start here:.
- Beat the butter with a wooden spoon to soften it.
- Beat in the sugar, followed by the flour (sifted to avoid awkward lumps).
- Work the ingredients, first with the spoon, then with your hands, until you have a soft dough that completely stays together without leaving bits in the bowl.
- Divide the dough into two equal sized pieces.
- Transfer the dough to a flat surface and roll out lightly until it 5mm to a centimetre thick.
- Place each half of the dough into a separate 9 inch square tin.
- Prick the shortbread all over with a fork.
- Cook the shortbread in a very low oven (300F, 150C, GM2) for 50 minutes.
- The shortbread will almost certainly not go hard while still in the oven. It needs to cool before it firms up.
- If you have bought 400g of shortbread:.
- Place the shortbread in a sandwich bag and bash with a rolling pin until you have a bag of biscuit crumbs.
- Melt 50g of butter, add the shortbread crumbs and mix inches.
- Press into the bottom of the two 9 inch square tins and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the caramel:.
- Place the butter and sugar into a pan over a medium heat and stir until butter is melted and sugar dissolved.
- Add the can of sweetened condensed milk.
- Increase the heat and stir vigorously until the mixture just begins to boil.
- Important: It will look like there is a massive excess of melted butter floating on the top. If you remove this the mixture WILL NOT SET so LEAVE IT THERE!
- Just as the mixture begins to boil (i.e. you see the first big bubbles break the surface) remove from the heat and continue to stir vigorously for 2 minutes.
- Pour the caramel over the chilled shortbread, and leave to set for 20 minutes.
- To finish:.
- Melt 400g of milk chocolate in a glass bowl over boiling water. (For the best result, break the chocolate into pieces no smaller than 1 inch square, heat water until it is at a rolling boil, add chocolate, and then reduce to a simmer with only a few large bubbles and DO NOT TOUCH until most of the chocolate has melted).
- Pour over the shortbread.
- Now refrigerate for several hours until set.
- Score each tin into 24 pieces.