Recipe by Mimi in Maine
I have made this for over 25 years and is exceptionally good and easy. It is delicious with a tossed salad and crusty garlic bread. It is not your traditional pasta and sauce, but an elegant one-dish meal. You can prepare it in the morning and it is all ready for the evening meal.
Top Review by nagha326
I've also made this recipe for 20 some odd years, got it from the Forum Feasts cookbook, and my mom was making it for years before that! To prevent drying, you really need to drizzle melted butter over the top. With all the butter and cheeses it's not lowfat, so I don't make it alot, but it IS a crowd pleaser!! Thanks for posting it because I lost my copy of the book in our most recent move!
- 1 (7 ounce) package thin spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 lb cottage cheese
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and drain the spaghetti.
- Saute the ground beef in the butter till beef is brown.
- Add the 2 cans of tomato sauce, salt, and pepper--set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling.
- In a shallow 2 quart casserole, spread one-half of the cooked spaghetti.
- Cover with the cheese filling mixture.
- Add remaining spaghetti and drizzle the 2 tablespoons melted butter over this.
- Spread the tomato-meat sauce over this and chill (this can be put in the oven right away, but is a good prepare ahead dish).
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minute before baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or till hot and bubbly.