1/1 Photo of MILLION DOLLAR ITALIAN CASSEROLE
Southern Lady's Note:
Similar to Million Dollar Spaghetti on FB and Pinterest. I reduced the butter (a lot), added a little more flavor, and altered the baking time since 2/3 content was already hot. Recipe goes together quickly if you coordinate the boiling, sauteing, mixing, etc. I prefer to use Paul Newman's Sockarooni or Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces rotini pasta (elbow or spaghetti may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced from jar)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (optional)
- 1 medium onion (white or yellow) (optional)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -8 ounce cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cottage cheese
- 28 ounces red pasta sauce
- 2 -3 cups grated cheese (Mozzarella, Italian Blend, or Cheddar)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Bring water to boil, add salt and pasta and cook per directions.
- 3Use 2 T of butter and grease a 9 x 12 baking dish.
- 4Dice green pepper and onion.
- 5Slice mushrooms.
- 6Heat 2 T of garlic oil and saute on medium heat bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms 3-4 minutes.
- 7Drain pasta and set aside.
- 8Add ground sirloin, crumbling as you add. Add salt & pepper, breaking up beef into small bites. Remain cooking until beef is no longer pink, drain excess gease.
- 9Add jar of pasta sauce and heat through.
- 10While meat sauce is cooking, add softened cream cheese, sour cream, and cottage cheese to a medium size mixing bowl.
- 11Using a hand mixer or immersion blender, mix 3 ingredients until well blended.
- 12Layer 1/2 pasta into baking dish, add blended cheese mixture and smooth evenly over pasta.
- 13Evenly add remaining pasta followed by red meat sauce.
- 14Cover dish with foil and bake 20 minutes. (I spray oil my foil so it doesn't stick).
- 15Remove foil and add grated cheese on top.
- 16Return to oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese has melted well.
- 17Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for MILLION DOLLAR ITALIAN CASSEROLE
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.4
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 40.5 mg
- Sodium 1854.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 18.6 g