Recipe by Pastryismybiz
Sugar cookie with a delightful blend of flavors and crispy edges. The first time I tasted this cookie I just said "wow". It's my favorite cookie jar cookie and I highly recommended it. If you bake and ship to loved ones, this cookie travels very well even in summer heat. I use bubble wrap between layers and they survive the trip to Iraq.
- 4 tablespoons butter, soft
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco, butter flavored
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Oven 350° for 12-15 minutes until edges are slightly brown.
- Cream fats and sugars until fluffy.
- Add egg and beat until absorbed.
- Add flavorings to creamed mixture.
- Sift dry ingredients together into separate bowl and blend together.
- Add dry to creamed mixture and mix just until flour is incorporated; do not over mix.
- Chill dough.
- Roll into balls and flatten on cookie sheet with glass bottom dipped in sugar.
- My addition of some butter allows the fats and sugars to crème to a fluffy consistency superior to Crisco alone. Butter has a small percentage of water that helps build volume and break down the sugars. The use of all butter will result in a softer cookie if this is your preference. This important 1st stage of preparation will make good cookies, blue ribbon winners.