My perfect apple pie, this has always been my favorite pie which I am often asked to baked for family get togethers. The recipe is actually one that has been in our family for years and is my personal favorite. I like the level of cinnamon spicyness it has as well as the perfect crust which is my grandmothers recipe. This recipe is a sure thing for the perfect apple pie. I am from Texas originally, but have lived in Australia for 3 years now, since I cannot find the shortening here that the crust requires I substitute this with soft margarine spread. It works great as well, just keep all crust ingredients as cold as possible for a light flaky crust.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Filling
- 177.44 ml white sugar
- 4.92-9.85 ml flour
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 0.59 ml allspice
- 0.59 ml salt
- 946.36-1182.95 ml granny smith apples (cored, peeled and sliced)
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 44.37 ml butter
Perfect Pie Crust
- 1For Pie Crust:.
- 2Sift flour, add salt & sift again.
- 3Using two butter knives, cut in half of the shortening thoroughly or until mixture resembles course corn meal.
- 4Cut in remaining shortening until roughly the size of peas.
- 5*The secret to flaky crust is Ice Cold Water and very cold shortening.
- 6Sprinkle water, 1 tablespoon at a time over small portions of the mixture, with a fork press the flour particles together as they absorb the water, do not stir.
- 7Push aside pieces of dough in bowl as formed and sprinkle remaining water over dry portions, use only enough water to hold the pasty together. It should not be wet or slippery.
- 8Press all together lightly with your fingers or wrap dough in waxed paper & press all together gently.
- 9Bear in mind, the less the dough is handled the better the crust.
- 10Place dough in refrigerator to chill while peeling & slicing apples.
- 11Apple Pie filling:.
- 12Pre-heat oven to 425f
- 13Peel, Core and slice apples - 4-5 cups is about 5-6 apples.
- 14Prepare pastry and roll out undercrust, fit into a 9 inch pie pan.
- 15In a bowl: combine sugar, flour, cinamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- 16Spread half of this mixture over the pastry lined pan.
- 17Add apples and sprinkle remaider of mixture over the apples.
- 18Sprinkle apples with lemon juice and dot with butter.
- 19Roll, fit and seal upper crust over the top of the apples, I like to cut little hearts and X's in the top crust too for air.
- 20Bake on the lower shelf of a hot oven (425 f) 30-40 minutes.
- 21* I also cover the very edge circle of the crust with foil to keep the edges from browning too much more than the rest of the pie while baking.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Millie's Perfect Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.7
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 359.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 25.3 g
- Protein 3.4 g