Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Simple and Delicious. This dish is soothing and very nourishing.
- 1 cup millet (rinsed)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup buttercup squash, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup cabbage, diced
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- parsley, minced, for garnish
- Layer ingredients in the following order; onions, squash, carrots, cabbage, millet.
- Gently add water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes then season with salt. (check periodically and add more water if millet becomes dry).
- Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Place in serving bowls and garnish with parsley.
I prepared this as directed and found it to be a little bit tasteless. Maybe if I had sauteed the vegetables as the other poster did, this would have turned out better for me. Also, the millet was pretty mushy...I think 3 1/2 cups of water might have been too much. It gets points for being easy and healthy, though. Also, it's very filling...a big plus in my book.
Thank you for this comforting and yes, nourishing recipe. I sauteed the onions with garlic, the carrots, cabbage and squash and added some chinese greens. Then I followed as you said but just threw in a bay leaf, some all purpose seasoning, salt and pepper and sage and a level tablespoon of butter because I felt it needed a little fat and more salt and pepper. LOVE This and will use it many times, and can mix up the vegies too!