Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice change to having rice or potatoes. Serve as a vegetable side or warm salad. For a gluten-free diet use a suitable stock (I use Massell brand)
- 200 g millet
- 1 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 50 g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 60 g sliced almonds
- 250 g baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper
- Place the millet, dried apricots, water and stock in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to a slow simmer. SImmer 15 to 20 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and the millet is tender.
- Meanwhile, using a dry pan, toast the flaked almonds until lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside.
- Add the spinach and lemon juice to the millet and season with salt and freshly ground pepper (depending on the stock used, you may not need to add any salt). Cover the pan and cook on a very low heat for a few minutes to wilt the spinach.
- Serve scattered with the flaked almonds over the top as garnish.
New discovery for breakfast :) I was looking for something hot, fast and savory based on millet, and this is it! Instead of apricots I use some dried blueberries, but otherwise make as suggested. Great recipe, thanks for posting, Julie!