Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was inspired to come up with this simple and delicious salad after making another salad, Cucumber Millet Bean Salad With Feta. It's delicious and cooling - and low fat, too! The quinoa and beans add protein, making it a fantastic lunch dish. Pitted kalmatta olives would make a great addition!
- 1⁄2 cup millet
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa (red, white, or black)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1 tomatoes, ripe, seeds squeezed out, diced
- 1 sweet pepper, seeded, diced
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 200 g feta cheese, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) canlarge white beans, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more, to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried dill (sub basil or oregano, if preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 lemon, juice of (zest as well, if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Bring millet and 1 cup water to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for five minutes; turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Bring quinoa and 3/4 cup water to boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 12-14 minutes; fluff.
- Combine all ingredients and toss; chill. Enjoy!
This was an easily prepped salad that earned lots of praise at our July 4th picnic. The proportions are perfect and no adjustments needed; even my picky sons liked it! I will be keeping this recipe, thanks for submitting!
YUM!!! Refreshing Healthy Delicious! I used fresh ginger instead of garlic. I never use garlic - yuck. I like Lalaloula's idea about the barley too. Thanks for sharing : )
Kat, this salad is amazing! So refreshing, full of wonderful complementing flavour and so satisfying! Mmmm, yum, yum, yum!!!! :) I used white quinoa and as I didnt have enough of that on hand threw in some pearl barley just because. I also subbed sunflowerseeds for the pine nuts, but other than that stuck to your recipe and LOVED it!!! The perfect summer salad, that will be made over and over again in my house! Cant wait! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this winner with us! Made and reviewed for PRMR June 2010.