Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lovely nutty flavor and a good appearence. If you have any stuffing left over put it in a green pepper and cook it along with the squash, it's quite good cold too
- 2 medium acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 cup cooked millet (, follow instructions on packet) or 1 cup cooked quinoa (, follow instructions on packet)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chives, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- paprika (optional for garnish)
- Slice off a sliver on the bottom of each squash half so they can sit flat.
- Place squash, cut side down in an oven proof dish pour in about 1/2 inch of water, cover with foil and steam in a 375f oven until tender, turn over after 30 minutes and test for tenderness (it will take approximately 45 min total or less depending on size of the squash).
- Combine filling ingredient s and spoon in enough to have a rounded top on each squash.
- Put back in the baking dish with the water, stuffed side up.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake in 350F oven for apprx 30 minutes, uncover& bake a further 15 minutes.
Great appearence, but lack of flavor. There needs to be more herbs or something to liven it up a bit. I'll try again sometime with a new twist.
This is delicious! The quinoa gives it a wonderful, nutty taste that goes well with the squash. Any kind of squash would be good, especially if you're counting carbs.