1/2 Photos of Millet Oatmeal Bread (Gluten-Free)
2 hrs 35 mins
1 hr 50 mins
Andrew Mollmann's Note:
My mother makes this for me. She has made many different gluten free breads in search of the perfect sandwich loaf and this is my favorite so far. I didn't see it on zaar, so I thought I'd post it. This bread worked great for sandwiches and had good flavor. I kept it in the freezer with each slice separated by a piece of wax paper. Whenever I needed some, I'd defrost it for 20-30 seconds and let it sit for a few minutes. This bread is also more nutritional than most gluten free breads since it isn't loaded with starches. Makes 1 10" loaf or 2 8" loaves. Cooking time includes rise time.
My Private Note
8 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour (can pulverize oats to make this)
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot (can substitute cornstarch if necessary)
- 1/3 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 ounce active dry yeast (1 packet, or about 2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (for proofing yeast)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water (heated to ~120F)
- 1 cup water (heated to ~120F)
- 1Make sure all dry ingredients and the eggs are at room temperature.
- 2Grease the bottom of a 10 inch loaf pan or two 8 inch pans. Heat the oven to 200 degrees and then turn off.
- 3In the bowl of your stand mixer, sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate medium bowl, mix eggs, molasses, vinegar, and melted butter.
- 4Heat your water for proofing the yeast. In a small prep bowl, stir together your active dry yeast and one teaspoon of sugar. Add 1/4 cup of the heated water to the yeast mixture. Let the yeast sit for 10 minutes. It should be foamy and active! If not, start over with another packet of yeast.
- 5Once yeast is ready, add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Then add the yeast mixture. Then slowly add the remaining water (should still be warm) to achieve the right consistency of the batter. Since different brands, flours, measuring techniques act different I do not recommend just blindly dumping in the rest of the water but adding gradually instead. The dough should be like very stiff cake batter.
- 6Beat dough on high for about 15 minutes in mixer. If you accidentally add too much water simply add a little rice flour until you achieve the dough consistency you are after.
- 7Put the dough in prepared pan and place in oven to rise for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Put plastic wrap or a towel over the pan.
- 8Once the dough has risen to the top of the pan, bake the bread for 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until internal temperature reaches 190 degrees.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Millet Oatmeal Bread (Gluten-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (510 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1218.4
- Calories from Fat 367
- Total Fat 40.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 340.0 mg
- Sodium 2079.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 188.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.9 g
- Sugars 29.9 g
- Protein 29.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: