Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
This is one of our favorite muffins. They make a great healthy start to the day. Don't grind the millet too fine, you want a bit of texture to the muffins. You can also try substituting quinoa for half of the millet, just make sure to rinse the quinoa well first. I've also tried using all quinoa but found the flavor a bit too strong. This recipe comes from Cooking Light.
- 2⁄3 cup millet
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped toasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coarsely grind millet in food processor or coffee grinder; set aside. Add brown sugar and egg to a large bowl. Whisk until well combined. Stir in millet, milk, and butter.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into muffin tins coated with cooking spray. Bake for 18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Combine the butter, pecans, and honey in a small bowl. Serve with the muffins.