1/3 Photos of Millet Loaf
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
woodland hues's Note:
This recipe serves a crowd and can be halved.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups millet
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup roasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1Rinse millet and put it in a medium saucepan with the water and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook, lid ajar slightly, over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until soft; the millet should absorb all the water.
- 2Saute the carrots, celery, onions and garlic in sesame oil until onions are translucent. Add the seasonings.
- 3Mix the cooked millet and the veggies together, along with the sunflower seeds, if you wish.
- 4Add 3 tbsp flour to the millet mixture, blending well.
- 5Lightly oil (and flour, optional) 2 loaf pans. Press the millet mixture into the pan, and bake at 400 F for one hour (45 minutes if the millet is still warm when you put it into the pan).
- 6Allow the loaf to cool for about 10 minutes before turning it out onto a platter and slicing.
- 7Serve with mashed potatoes, green beans and lots of brown gravy. (Vegetarian Gravy II Vegetarian Gravy II makes a good accompaniment).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Millet Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.8
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 142.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 4.0 g