Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Frances Moore Lappe's "Diet for a Small Planet". The nutritional yeast, miso, and cashews add a cheese-like umami flavor to this vegan soup.
- 29.58 ml oil, plus more for sauteing vegetables
- 118.29 ml millet
- 354.88 ml water
- 3 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, grated (or chopped)
- 1419.54 ml water
- 1 medium head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 29.58 ml dry vegetable soup mix, base
- ground celery seed
- 29.58 ml white miso (dark miso will make the soup brown instead of creamy)
- 177.44 ml raw cashews
- 236.59 ml water
- 118.29 ml nutritional yeast
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a soup pot and toast the millet until it becomes golden brown and begins to pop. Remove from heat, add 1 1/2 cups water, return to heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, heat some oil and saute the celery, green pepper, onion, garlic, and carrot until the onion is translucent.
- To millet pot, add 6 cups water (for thick soup), cauliflower, bay leaf, sauteed vegetables, soup base, herbs, and celery seed, stirring occasionally so millet doesn't stick. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a blender, process miso, cashews, 1 cup water, and yeast. Add to soup and simmer 10 minutes. Taste for salt and adjust consistency with more water if you like.