Top Review by Mirj
Excellent! I didn't pay attention to the vegetable measurements, just threw in what I had on hand, including orange and yellow bell peppers and even a handful of cooked chickpeas. I used a mild salsa and served the rice with some chicken breasts grilled with the same salsa. The rice could use a bit more cumin, in my opinion, but the rest of the family doesn't have my spicy tastebuds and thought it was just fine. Thanks Miller!
- 3 ounces shredded carrots
- 2 ounces peas
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 ounces red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 ounces green bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 6 ounces fresh and chunky salsa (as mild or spicy as you want)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 dash turmeric
- 6 ounces water
- 6 ounces long grain rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook carrot, peas, onion, peppers and garlic in margarine or butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in salsa and water and heat to a boil.
- Stir in the rice and re-heat to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, add cumin and turmeric, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.