Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1 loaf crusty bread, split lengthwise
- 2 onions, sliced
- 8 slices cheddar cheese, cut in half
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- ground cumin, to taste
- 8 fluid ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- In a skillet, brown the beef and then drain well.
- Add tomato sauce, taco seasoning and cumin; simmer for 5 to 20 minutes.
- Spread mixture on bread.
- Top with layers of sliced onions, tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake at 375° Fahrenheit for 8- 12 minutes until cheese melts.
- Cut into pieces to serve.
- This can be broiled if you like it crispier.