A rich, creamy comfort food. Just like grandma used to make. A thick, cheesy broth packed to the brim with vegetables. Tastes great served with a crusty bread. RECOMMENDATION: When choosing your frozen vegetable mix (or when preparing fresh vegetables for use), lima beans are a fantastic choice! I normally avoid lima beans like the plague, but this soup is a great way to put them into your diet, as their starchy texture blends in perfectly with the thickness of the soup. If you can't find a mixture that contains them, buy a separate bag of beans and add them on their own!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Note: Potatoes should be chopped into comfortable bite sized bits. When I was taught this recipe I was told to peel the potatoes full monty. But you can leave the skins on if you like. Now that I cook this soup myself I never remove them. They add a nice texture and interesting colour to the soup. All to your preference.
- 2Heat half (1/2) teaspoon of oil in stock pot, and add onion, garlic and celery. Cook on medium heat until onion turns translucent, and mixture is fragrant.
- 3Add cubed potatoes, then cover in cups eight (8) cups of water.
- 4Add five (5) bouillon cubes of your choice. Chicken is traditional, but you can substitute vegetable for a vegetarian alternative. Mix until well dissolved.
- 5Wait until water has heated, then add bag of frozen vegetables.
- 6Bring to a simmer and let cook until potatoes are just tender and fork-pokable.
- 7Add the cans of cream of chicken (or celery) soup and mix until well blended.
- 8Turn heat to low, and begin adding velveeta in small cubes. It's best to do this step slowly, and taste the soup every time a batch of cheese melts. Any mixture is fine depending on your preference.
- 9Remove from heat and serve with crusty bread for dipping. This soup is fabulous as leftovers, and tastes just as good cold as it does piping hot.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Miller-Style Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.7
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 6.1 mg
- Sodium 972.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 6.5 g