1/1 Photo of Milky Bread Comfort Food
Easy comfort food for one, simple, quick, cheap, vegan and healthy. Very versatile, can be adapted to taste. I came up with it when I felt a bit down at uni and wanted something comforting but healthy, and came up with this. Now I do it all the time, it's great as a snack, dessert or even for breakfast. I've even made it for my teenage brother who only eats junk food, it's a great way for him to get calcium and wholegrains.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 slice bread, torn up into small pieces (any type, dry bread works better than fresh, fruit bread's nice, I like malted bread best)
- 3/4 cup milk (use as much or as little to taste, any type works, I use soya but you can use normal or flavoured et)
- 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional, if using, omit the sugar or Splenda)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional) or 1 teaspoon ginger (optional) or 1 teaspoon mixed spice, etc (optional)
- 1 tablespoon raisins (optional) or 1 tablespoon sultanas (optional) or 1 tablespoon dried fruit, etc (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1Preheat grill to high.
- 2Put pieces of bread in a microwavable bowl/ramekin (about 200ml/1 cup).
- 3Sprinkle with sugar/Splenda/maple syrup and spices (if using).
- 4Pour over milk to taste (at least enough to cover the bread).
- 5Microwave on high for 1 minute, or until milk starts to bubble.
- 6Sprinkle with extra sugar if using, then either put ramekin straight under the grill, or transfer into a grillable bowl, then grill for 3-5 minutes depending on grill or how crunchy you want the top to be.
- 7Remove from grill and eat with a teaspoon. Make sure it's not too hot, sometimes the milk underneath the top is still boiling. I like it with a crunchy top and lots of milk underneath where the bread's totally disintegrated, you can try with more or less milk to get the consistency you want.
- 8If you don't have a microwave, you can bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, then grill. Or alternatively if you don't have a grill, it still tastes great eaten straight from the bowl after microwaving.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Milky Bread Comfort Food
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.5
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 25.6 mg
- Sodium 261.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 25.5 g
- Protein 7.9 g