Recipe by JenniferB
Tastes like an egg custard. You can choose to use a prebaked tart shell instead of making your own.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, chilled
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute or 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted stick margarine, diced
- 1⁄4 plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 tangerine peel (from 6 tangerines)
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute or 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute or 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- ---Tart Shell---.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, Splenda and salt.
- Using two knives, cut the mixture until it resembles crumbs.
- Stir in the egg yolk and yogurt.
- Gather the dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Flour a surface and roll the dough into a 13-inch circle.
- Fit the dough into a 9-inch tart pan pressing it to fit and going over the rim.
- Refrigerate and then use a fork to prick the bottom of the tart shell.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line the crust with foil and fill with dried beans.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the crust is set.
- remove the foil and beans and bake for another 7 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on a rack.
- ---Tart Filling---.
- Steep the cinnamon, milk, vanilla bean and tangerine peels in a pot for about 3 minutes.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350°F.
- Remove the pot from the heat and keep the lid tightly closed for 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid to remove the vanilla bean and tangerine peels.
- Mix the cream, cornstarch and salt until they are a smooth paste.
- Temper into the milk.
- Put the milk mixture back on the stove for another 2 minutes until it is heavily thickened.
- Add the butter to the mixture and remove from the heat and wait for it to cool to room temperature.
- Brush the apricot jam on the inside of the tart shell.
- Mix the egg substitute into the milk mixture and pour into the pie shell.
- Mix the 3 T of Splenda and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the top of the custard.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes until the custard is slightly puffed and brown.