1/2 Photos of Milk Risotto (Milk Rice "my Way")
Milk Rice (Milchreis) is a very traditional German Dessert. As I child I love it. And I still love it. But very often is made more like a pudding and the texture of the rice is almost lost. "My Way" milk rice is based on Risotto Rice of high quality, because the rice makes this dessert. I suggest to use "Carnaroli" rice for this dessert. But you should always use rice which is suited for making a Risotto (e.g. Arborio). The dessert is not overly sweet, but everyone can add more sweetness by sprinkling more of sugar on the served dessert. You can also adapt the consistency to your need. If you like it more soupy add a bit more milk or a little cream, if you like a rich and silk dessert. But sure this dessert is not only a kid pleaser it is a dessert which everyone will love. Serve it with a glass of milk, hot chocolate or a strong coffee. I love it not overly sweet. The flavours of the lemon peel and vanilla made this a very delicate dessert. The cinnamon added at last add some more spicy notes to it. The butter (or cream, if you added some) make it smooth and silky.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup carnaroli rice (see note)
- 2 -3 cups milk
- 1 dash salt
- 1/4 lemon, zest of
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1Wash Canaroli rice under running water until water is almost clear.
- 2Put rice into pot. Add two cups of milk, the lemon rind and salt. Bring to a boil. Stirring frequently to avoid sticking of rice and burning.
- 3Reduce heat to medium high and boil for 15 to 20 minutes. It should be a soft boiling. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- 4If the milk is absorbed before the rice is done add a little more milk. The rice is done, when it is soft, but still has a bite. This should be after 15 minutes. If you like the rice more soft cook it longer. You should taste some rice corns from time to time (see not on cooking time).
- 5After the rice is cooked to the consistency you like remove from heat and remove lemon rind. Add butter, sugar and vanilla extract. Stir.
- 6If the consistency of the milk rice is too firm add some more milk or cream for desired consistency.
- 7For serving: mix sugar with cinnamon.
- 8Serve milk risotto warm. Serve sugar-cinnamon mixture, so that everyone can adjust sweetness. If you like not overly sweet, just sprinkle some cinnamon over the milk risotto.
- 9NOTE on "Cooking Time": Carnaroli Rice needs about 15 minutes to be "al dente". If you like it more soft cook it longer for about 5 minutes. Taste from time to time some rice corns. I always start with 2 cups of milk, but depending on cooking time and desired "softness" of rice you may need more (up to 3 cups). If the milk is absorbed add just a little more milk. If you like the "pure" Risotto consistency, the consistnecy should be creamy and the spoon should build a wave, when you stir the rice.
- 10NOTE on "Carnaroli Rice": I use this rice, because it gives the best results. You could use other rice varieties, like Arborio, but it should be a high quality short grain rice which is suitable for making a Risotto.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Milk Risotto (Milk Rice "my Way")
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.5
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.3 mg
- Sodium 151.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 7.4 g